Monday, February 9, 2009

A-Rod Admits Taking Steroids

Well, I think it's safe to say that I'm more surprised Alex Rodriguez admitted to taking performance-enhancing drugs just days after the story broke than I was about the report that he had a positive test. As I mentioned in a previous blog, I really was not shocked to hear he had tested positive for PEDs. In this generation with many big-time athletes getting caught for steroid use, I could never say I felt he was clean.

To see him go out there and tell Peter Gammons straight up that he took them, and for three years as well, was shocking to me. We look at guys like Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, and Mark McGwire deny steroid use time and time again when it is so clear that they have and evidence is pointing against them. To me, A-Rod seemed like the type of person who would try and deny it and not go right out and admit his use and apologize.

Him doing that was clearly the right thing to do. It hasn't helped Clemens, Bonds, or McGwire that they refuse to admit it. A-Rod is following what Giambi and Pettitte did and getting it out of the way now. All of them recognized their mistake and how it was part of the culture back then, apologized for it, realized how foolish they were, and moved on. That was the best possible way to handle the situation.

Now, it doesn't help that he'll still face scrutiny and questions all through spring training and the season, especially if he performs poorly. He lied on CBS in the past when he said he never took any PEDs. However, he told the truth to Peter Gammons and will do his best to move on. Him coming clean gained back a little bit of respect I had lost.

At this point, telling the truth was all he really could do. When it comes time to play ball, he better bring his best game. If he doesn't, the NY fans will surely boo him...Loudly!

No comments:

Post a Comment